Spring Cleaning and Refreshing Your Home Decor
It’s that special time of year when spring cleaning tops your to-do list! Don’t dread this annual task. Look forward to it as a way to reinvigorate your home and imbue it with new life and style. Here are some easy tips to make spring cleaning a breeze, along with suggestions on how to update your space and make it feel fresh and inviting:
Clear Clutter First
Before you get down to the nitty gritty of spring cleaning, it’s important to rid rooms of excess clutter. Many organizing experts suggest beginning this process with three storage bins or containers. Place the items you plan to keep in one bin and use the other two to store the items you’ll either donate or throw away. When you’re done sorting, make sure to store the bin with the items you plan to keep in a closet or an attic space to help keep rooms clutter-free.
Start at the Top
Now, it’s time to clean. Start with the upper areas of each room, removing cobwebs from walls and ceilings, and cleaning doors and window frames. Then work your way down, cleaning mid-level surfaces like cabinets and windows. Next, focus on furniture—whether it involves dusting, wiping down or vacuuming, you want every piece of furniture looking like new. Finally, address the lowest level: floors and carpets. Make sure to clean the baseboards, sweep and mop all floors, and steam-clean carpets for a fresh, clean home.
Divide Cleaning by Rooms
If you’re pressed for time, you may not be able to dedicate a whole weekend—much less a whole week—to completing all your spring-cleaning tasks. If this is the case, set aside a day or two each week to focus on deep cleaning a room in your home. After a month or so, you’ll have all the rooms completely cleaned with minimal stress and less disruption of your schedule.
Use Simple Cleaning Tools
You don’t need fancy or expensive cleaning tools. A microfiber cloth, your everyday broom and vacuum, and some natural cleaning products like baking soda and vinegar are just as effective as more expensive alternatives.
Interior Decorating: Style and Refresh
Once you’ve tackled those spring cleaning chores, it’s time for the fun part: choosing beautiful new seasonal pieces to decorate your home with! A few new items can go a long way in making your home feel brand new. Putting away your fall and winter window treatments, throw pillows, table coverings and bed sheets, and replacing them with springtime colors and patterns can help spruce up rooms without a lot of effort.
Spring Window Treatments
Welcome spring by revitalizing your windows with new curtains. Here are a few ideas to get your space ready for spring:
- Choose solid colors or patterned, sheer curtains for a light, airy feel.
- Choose brighter or lighter shades that have a more spring-like feel than the muted hues and jewel tones of fall and winter.
- Opt for colorful patterns or fresh neutrals to make a room reflect spring.
- Hang curtains with blackout lining to keep out excess sunlight.
- Choose a cheerful new valance to brighten the kitchen.
- Choose layered curtains that have contrast; for example, white sheers and navy curtains to create a nautical feel.
- Try custom curtains to create a springtime feel tailored to each specific room.
Spring Sheet Sets
Maybe you’ve been using heavyweight or flannel sheets, but it’s time to say goodbye to those until next winter. Consider an easy-care option, like knit sheets, in a soothing spring or neutral color to make your bedroom look and feel fresh. Dress up the bed with fun patterned accent pillows to turn your bedroom into a sanctuary.
Complete the Look with Special Touches
There are many different ways you can liven up spaces for spring. Consider adding spring-themed artwork to the walls, extra decorative mirrors to reflect the bright sunlight, and pretty vases with fresh or faux flowers. You can also include fun-but-functional decorations as well, such as vibrant bins or baskets to help you stay organized with a touch of style. Other important elements to include are:
- Table coverings and placemats— Consider getting two sets for spring: one that can be used for beautiful, everyday dining, and another more sophisticated set that can be used for Easter dinner and other springtime celebrations. Don’t forget the chair covers to keep the look stylish and coordinated.
- Outdoor table coverings— Keep your patio or deck furniture just as inviting as your dining room by updating your outdoor table coverings for spring.
- Fresh accent cushions— Sofas, loveseats, chairs, and benches can all benefit from an update with cushions. Use your existing cushions and throw pillows, and just update them with new covers for the season. Choose from colorful stripes, trendy chevron, desert-inspired prints and much more.
A Clean and Beautiful Home
Spring cleaning and decorating go hand-in-hand. Reward yourself for completing your spring cleaning with decorative essentials that make your home feel bright and beautiful.
Check out Half Price Drapes’ other helpful resources during your spring cleaning process!
We can also help you with custom curtain design.